5 July 2012

Fitness gadgets


So happy when the mailwoman stopped by the office today : my little amazon order with my heart rate monitor and activity tracker came in. I know I should have waited until I got home to fiddle with the fitbit but I just couldn't help myself.  Let's just say, I am of a curious nature :o)

The fitbit is smaller than I thought it would be, which is great because that means it will even be more discrete.  First little disappointment: its battery was completely drained, but connecting it to the PC with the supplied USB cable remedied that quickly.  Also, no a manual inside, but thanks to Apple, that's something we don't find peculiar anymore.  First guess was "check out the website" which proved to be correct.

Source: iheartinspiration.com via Scott on Pinterest
A small software install later, my little girlfriend was ready to go (she's black and plum coloured, so I'll just assume she's a girl). I clipped her to my bra and proceeded with my daily routine.  The only difference to an ordinary day, is that I was compulsively checking my total number of steps.  I'm sure this OCD type behaviour will improve once the novelty wears off, but right now, I see if as a huge motivational tool.  Want proof?  Guess who went up and down the stairs just before lunch, just to check whether this "floors climbed" feature worked appropriately?  Yes, me !  I climbed 13 flights of stairs at noon (which btw is as high as the Christ the Redeemer statue in Rio!).  Ha !

Our building is rather small with only 3 floors and as our office is located on the ground floor, I never have to take stairs anyway. Another way to measure my motivation! So I went up twice to the third floor and down again (going down obviously isn't considered climbing stairs).  But because people were starting to leave their respective workplaces for lunch and I wanted to avoid strange looks (think : why is that fat girl continuously going up and down the stairs?), I ended up hiding from sight, going down to the downstairs garage and back up again for the remainder of the time.  Do I need to say how pleased I am with myself? :o)

I wanted to put the fitbit to the test with a long speedwalk tonight, but by the time I got home it was raining cats and dogs. Welcome to the Belgian summer :o(  Instead of going out, I climbed the stairs a couple of times more and completely aced the stairs objective by climbing a whopping 28! flights today.  I also completed my objective of 5.000 daily steps (which is only half of the 10.000 steps recommended by the WHO though).



Tonight I am going to test out the sleep activity tracker as well, to see how much I toss and turn during the night.  If it will be anything like last night, I'll see a lot of peaks showing up on the graph.  Hopefully it will just be a nice flat line, meaning I slept like a baby.  I'll keep you posted.

Until tomorrow,



Overview of my day :

Breakfast : 10 pts (half skimmed milk 3pts, 45g nestle fitness cereals 5pts, a glass of apple juice 2pts and an apple) - same as every day

Lunch : 7 pts (Tomate Crevettes Bento 100g rice 3pts, 100g shrimp 3pts, fat free petit suisse 1pt, veggies and fruits 0pt)

Dinner :  12 pts (200g chicken filet 5pts, 200g potatoes 4pts, carrots 0pts, cooking oil 1pt, 35g of camembert cheese 2pts)

Unused :  21 pts

Drinks :   3L still water.

Calorie counting : just for reference I am now adding everything I eat into the Fitbit dashboard and today I consumed 1.453 kcal and burned 2.753 kcal.


No comments: